Sunday, October 2, 2011

Recipe Dump!

So often, I find it difficult to keep up with updates because I cook many of the same 20 dishes in different combos so often.  Not this week!  After the jump find a slew of recipe sources and interesting things to make this Fall...











First, I have joined Pinterest where many friends have been posting recipes.  Some have caught my eye and are super-awesome!


Stuffed Salmon with Sriracha Cream Sauce:

I'm going to make this on Monday.  I've already got the fish marinating in homemade teriyaki...but salmon is expensive, so going with a time-honored tradition of shopping the sales, I went with Shark fillets which were only $2.99/lb and kinda make me feel like I've defeated Jaws.  Also, this recipe makes an excellent spicy sauce with Sriracha, Mayonnaise, and Condensed Milk!  I'm super excited to combine three such unusual ingredients and see how they turn out.


Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry:
This will be Tuesday/Wednesday's meals.  I love curry, I love coconut, I love chicken.  What could possibly go wrong?  Also, this will be my first attempt to make something other than chili in the (relatively) new crock-pot I got a few months back.  Hopefully it will turn into a great freezer meal.

This is just an awesome recipe dump site!
Yah, so, I'm super glad that my friend posted a link to this.  It's a Crockery Pot Cooking Index. Hundreds of Crock Pot recipes in one place.  Delightful.


Apple Cider Caramels:
I feel like this needs no more description.  They look beautiful.  I love Apple Cider, I love Caramel, I feel like this will be a great way to start Fall.  Also, I was up in the mountains this past weekend and picked up some honest-to-goodness, fresh-made, Apple Cider.  Mmmm....always reminds me of childhood.  I loved apples so much I convinced my mother to take my whole first grade class to an apple orchard for my 6th birthday to watch them make apple juice.  So, yes, I can't wait to make this.

Not related to Pinterest recipes...I also revisited some of my old whey tricks.  I made Corn Chowder and Hang Op this past week but as a twist, I tried the following mix for the Hang Op:
1) Candied Walnuts which I adapted...

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • a dollop of Light Corn Syrup (maybe 1-2 Tbsp)
  • 1 1/2 cups raw walnut pieces
  • 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Use middle rack in oven. Lay walnuts out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 5-7 minutes.  Be careful not to burn. Remove from oven and let cool in pan on a rack.
2) Pour sugar into a medium saucepan with a thick bottom. Have walnuts nearby, ready to quickly add to the pan at the right time. Cook sugar on medium heat, adding CORN SYRUP and stirring with a wooden spoon as soon as the sugar begins to melt. Keep stirring until all the sugar has melted and the color is a medium amber. As soon as sugar is melted and the color is a medium amber, add the walnuts to the pan, quickly stirring and coating each piece with the sugar mixture.
3) As soon as the walnuts are coated with the sugar mixture, spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet, lined either with a Silpat non-stick mat, or parchment paper. Use two forks to separate the walnuts from each other, working very quickly. Sprinkle the nuts with the salt. Let cool completely.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.
TIP: When you are cooling something as hot as liquid sugar and nuts will be, do NOT use wax paper.  The wax will melt, the paper will get stuck to everything...go with parchment paper instead.
TIP THE SECOND: The corn syrup will help keep the sugar from recrystallizing.  I highly recommend using it, though you should be fine with just regular sugar if you don't have any on hand.

2) I also added to the hang op, rum-soaked craisins.  A little goes a LONG way.  To make this, get some dried fruit and soak it for at least an hour and as much as overnight in some combination of brandy, rum, honey whiskey, vodka.  I chose honey whiskey and rum.

The hang op itself was another experiment...rather than using powdered sugar, I added honey when mixing the yoghurt and whipped cream.  It worked wonderfully and complemented the walnuts and craisins tremendously.

Tiramisu:
I had some marscapone lying around and decided that this week will be the week to make my first Tiramisu.  I'll use the recipe above and hopefully will not completely waste my time and effort.  Updates forthcoming...

Credits
Image: 365.18: Recipes a Creative Commons Attribution (2.0) image from WordRidden's photostream

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP