Thursday, November 18, 2010

This is what it should look like: cooking with friends

This past weekend I had the chance to hang out and catch up with a friend.  We went out for a light lunch (ha!) of sushi at restaurant within walking distance of her house and then made our way back to her place to continue the conversation.  When we got there she turned to me almost apologetically and said,
Do you mind if we move to the kitchen? I need to do some cooking for my lunches for next week...
Obviously, I was thrilled.  She cooked and I prepped, we chatted and swapped tips as we continued our conversation from the restaurant.  She only had a little clean-up at the end and hand-washed what few dishes there were.  All in all, that part of the day took less than an hour.

It reminded me of an occasion when I visited some friends for a shapenote singing in their home.  I arrived a little early with chicken in hand and helped out in the kitchen.  There was a simple choreography to the rise and fall of the cooking with the conversation.  It felt peaceful and right.

Looking back, I guess what really took me aback was how easily and simply cooking can be incorporated into life.  It doesn't take long to make it a part of your routine.  Having friends who echo and mirror that same simple consideration only help to reinforce good habits.  Kitchens have historically been the center of the home, a place for easy conversation, a place to connect and reconnect with your dear ones.  And the simple intimacy of preparing a dish together is a powerful way to say "I love you."

Credits
Image: Kuchenmaistrey aWikimedia Commons  image in the Public Domain (Augsburg 1505)

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP